As part of the ongoing “White-bellied Heron Recovery Plan Project” RSPN would like to invite funding proposals from enthusiastic researchers to carryout research work on various aspects of the critically endangered White-bellied Heron across its natural habitat range. We welcome proposals pertaining to social, environmental and ecological aspects of the heron. Top 8 proposals will be awarded Nu. 35,000.00 (Thirty-Five Thousand) each, however we will consider additional support depending on the project.
For 2017, focus areas include:
- Punatsangchu basin from Sunkosh, Tsirang till Lhamoizhingkha, Dagana
- Mangdechu basin from Tingtibe till Panbang or Manas region
- Phibsoo Wildlife Sanctuary
- Serichu basin in Mongar
Please submit your proposals in RSPN format at [email protected]
Please download the Application format Here
Last date for submission is 12 noon, 30th November, 2017.
Please note that the following research areas have already been covered in the past:
- Assessment of local people’s awareness and perception on threats to White-bellied Heron (Ardea insignis) along Punatsangchu: Impact of awareness programmes.
- Land use change effect on habitat and white-bellied heron population by hydropower project along Punatsangchu.
- Vegetation structure and species composition in nesting and roosting habitats of white-bellied herons along the Phochu River.
- Influence of forest fire frequency on nest-site selection and nest-use by white-bellied heron (Ardea insignis) at Athang gewog under Wangdiphodrang Dzongkhag.
- Vegetation structure and composition of forests along the dry slopes of Burichu, Punatsangchu valley – a nesting site for the critically endangered white-bellied heron.
- Assessment of forest fire impacts on white-bellied heron habitats along Bertichu, Zhemgang Dzongkhag.
- Habitat preference by white-bellied heron along Bertichu, Zhemgang Dzongkhag.
- Feeding frequency and dietary composition of white-bellied heron (Ardea insignis) along Punatsangchu basin.
- Population and Distribution of White-bellied Heron in Bhutan, 2013
- Acoustic monitoring of White-bellied Herons in Bhutan.
For any inquiries please contact Rebecca Pradhan, Ecologist, RSPN at 02-322056 or 17629881