Sustainable Land Management and Promotion of Local Agro-biodiversity for food security in Degala, Zhemgang. (2018 - 2020)
Goals and Objectives
- Support and empower farmers on the basis of agriculture land management and principles (such as terracing, crop rotation, inter-cropping, mulching, vermicomposting, bio-pesticides, hedge row plantation)
- Support farmers to integrate agro-ecological farming approach, agriculture land management and agroforestry basis in their farmlands through technical support associated inputs.
Degala, Bardo Gewog, Zhemgang
SGP/GEF, UNDP BHUTAN
PROJECT IMPLEMENTING PARTNERS
Department of Agriculture, Zhemgang Dzongkhag (Agriculture Sector), RDTC, Bardo Gewog (Agriculture Extension Center), communities.
- Initiated Land management program: 40 households of Degala Chiwog were benefited through the stone bunding program. 40 acres of land were managed through stone terracing and 13 acres of land through hedge row plantation.
- Solar Electric Fencing: 67 acres of farmland in Degala Chiwog was fenced with solar electric fence.
- Green House Program: Five Farmers Groups mostly consisting of women members were supported with installation of Green House with equipment such as watering can, drip irrigation and vegetable seeds.
- Horticulture Program: Distributed 800 Japanese varieties of avocado seedlings and each household received 15 avocado seedlings. Also provided the training on agro-ecological farming approaches.
- Developed management guidelines of electric fencing and Green House and handed over to the communities for self management in the presence of Gewog Officials.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
At RSPN, we believe a single grain of sand can tip the scale. You can be the grain that tips the scale towards improved environmental conditions and conservation efforts in Bhutan. RSPN has set a target to raise US$ 1.5 million for next 10 years.